Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

Should the drinking age be lowered to eighteen?

The government must think that we are capable of making the same decisions as people that are above the drinking age. If we commit a crime we don't get special treatment because we are under twenty-one. NO! We are treated as adult. I could not find anywhere that an eighteen year old got special treatment because of his/her age. If an eighteen year old kills someone they will be treated just as a twenty-one year old. So how can there be a difference in the drinking age is beyond me? I think this article hits the nail on the head so to speak "Is an 18 or 21 Year Old an Adult?". At the age of eighteen congress thinks that we are smart enough to put a man in office and old enough to defend our home land so why can't we drink? 15 reasons why drinking age should be 18 . This article makes that clear in the 10th reason.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with all the points that the article made especially number 9, where it stated that making the legal drinking age 21 doesn't solve alcohol related problems. I'm not saying that lowering the drinking age would solve the problems either, but there will always be a debate about this. I am on the fence about this because I think the drinking age should be lowered because 18 year olds can get alcohol anyway, but at the same time it shouldn't because 18 year olds aren't always the most responsible people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Keyanna "18 year olds can get alcohol anyway". Right now at my house there is a twenty-four pack in the refrigerator that is for my mom's friends and a lot more alcohol in the kitchen. It isn't even hidden. It is also true that 18 year olds aren't that responsible but I have met so 21 and even some that are even older that aren't as responsible. I just like to sit back and watch them some times and laugh. When its all said and done if you being responsible is what should be the reason to drink then no one should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of the comments above mine. Lowering the age won't solve the problem. There will always be underage drinkers. The U.S. used to have the drinking age of 18 but then changed it to 21. I learned in my political science class that the states don't have to have a drinking age of 21, but they get federal funding for highways if they have it set at 21. I don't know how to solve the problem. I don't think it will ever be solved.

    ReplyDelete