Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

The Danger of Elderly Drivers



In my previous blogs I have discussed the dangers of elderly people driving and I have offered several possible and feasible solutions. I believe elderly drivers should have to take an annual driving exam, whether they be 65 or 70. They will either improve their skills or if this is not possible, they can participate in the special mass transportation program I mentioned in my other blogs. By requiring annual driving exams, some "lacking" elderly drivers will take the initiative to correct their ailments. Some will be influenced to take regular eye exams and to participate in healthy exercise (which could improve muscle strength and increase their response time) making them overall healthier people. This may be idealistic of me, but I'm not a monster and I don't care if someone drives at a speed that they are comfortable with, even if it is below the designated speed limit. However, I do want to protect our children and families from preventable car accidents with the added benefit of protecting our elderly, too. My blogs are not meant to belittle elderly drivers. I am sympathetic towards elderly drivers losing the privelege of driving as well as their sense of independence, but my intent is the secure the safety of everyone on the road.
(second post is in the form of a comment on my first blog)

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I think elderly drivers should under go yearly driving exams to ensure they are capable of driving on busy roads. Another solution could be they be authorized by theyre doctor whether or not they are physically capable of drivig. Not only would these precautions protect other drivers on the road, but elderly drivers themselves as well. A growing percentage of accidents are caused by elderly drivers, many of which end in injuries and deaths. The justice system makes no excuses for the elderly, so many of the elderly drivers involved in these accidents are being faced with serious criminal charges. These precautions would work towards the prevention of this.

    ReplyDelete