Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hybrid Cars: Good v. Bad


It was brought to my attention that the cons that I presented in my first blog were only things that could go wrong with the car if the driver was not responsible. So I decided to research somethings that were wrong with the vehicle it self. One con, which was given to me was the cost it takes to replace the battery, which ranges from $5,000 to $8,000. Also, hybrid cars tend to accelerate at a slower speed than a gas powered vehicle, this means you can't attain your expected speed within the same time period in a hybrid car. In a article, Sorting Out Hybrid Brake Issue: Safety Issue or a Different Feel?, it is stated that some hybrid vehicles have issues with accelerator pedals sticking, which caused a massive recall of 4.5 million Toyota vehicles. It is also said that hybrid vehicles often have higher fuel consumption and the battery life of these cars only range from 80,000 to 100,000 miles, therefore replacement of the battery pack is on a hybrid happens more often than that of a gas powered car. Are you really saving?

1 comment:

  1. When I noticed your blog was about hybrid cars and their innovative benefits and drastic faults, I was immediately captured since I am extremely interested in trying to save the environment and a bit of a technology savvy person. Your image attached to your blog connected very well with the content in your blog and brought value to your overall post. Plus, it was very informative. The cost to replace the battery is crazy, plus, as you stated in your blog entry, “the battery life of hybrid cars only range from 80,000 to 100,000 miles, therefore replacement of the battery pack is on a hybrid happens more often than that of a gas powered car,” and the cost of the replacement battery ranges for $5,000 to $8,000. I had no clue that hybrid cars could cost so much in the long run. I was under the impression that it was supposed to save you tons of money in the long run. Isn’t that what they advertise? I feel cheated. Now, that I know the truth I won’t plan on buying a hybrid car in the future.

    ReplyDelete