Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Hybrid Cars: Good v. Bad


In my first post, I explained the pros and cons of the hybrid car. It was brought to my attention that the hybrid car may be able to pay itself off along the way. After doing some research, I found this to be true. Some cars will pay off faster than others, but any owner of these vehicles will get their money worth. As stated in an article, Hybrid Cars Pay Off Quicker with Gas Prices High, some brands of these cars can pay themselves off in as few six years, while others may take as long as ten years. The author also goes on to explain how the increase in gas prices makes it easier for hybrid cars to pay off by stating that, "for every $1 increase at the pump, the time to pay off a hybrid's premium falls by about twenty-five percent." Hybrid cars will eventually be paid off, but how long will it take?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this, I drive a Mustang GT and I can put 40 dollars in it on Monday and it will completely gone by Wednesday. It is a money pit and my car will never pay itself off. I am constantly putting gas in it, changing the oil. It makes me wonder how much money I could save if I sold my car and bought a hybrid car. Many hybrid cars get an average of 45 miles to a gallon. http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/ My car gets about 15 miles per gallon if I drive it very easy but if I am in a hurry it will get about 8-11 miles per gallon. I believe the hybrid car would be the way to go for everyone to save money and to invest that money into businesses so we can help bring the economy back up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog makes a good point; hybrid cars are a lot cheaper in gas. I was unaware that some of the hybrid vehicles could “pay itself off.” The title of this blog is “Hybrid Cars: Good v. Bad,” but the post lacks information of some bad. There is no doubt that hybrids reduce pollution and use of oil, but at what cost to the user? Although you stated that hybrid vehicles can pay itself off, they are a big investment. For someone who does not drive often, the investment in a hybrid would not be so attractive because they might not ever use it enough to make up for its higher cost. Another concern of hybrid vehicles are do they lack same power amount of regular vehicles.

    Instead of hybrid vehicles drivers have the option, on some vehicles, to run on ethanol. According to the article “Ethanol” (http://www.hybridcars.com/ethanol/overview.html), ethanol is an alternative to gasoline that can be made from certain crops and cellulosic plant. In the case of the Chevrolet Silverado, it gives performance while “[burning] cleaner and [reducing] greenhouse gasses.” (http://www.hybridcars.com/vehicle/chevrolet-silverado-e85.html) This is why ethanol is a better alternative to using hybrid vehicles.

    ReplyDelete