Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

IS IT OKAY TO USE DEAD PEOPLES BODY PARTS?




I understand and respect everyone's point of view on this topic. I stand strong by what I believe. Personally, I still believe that it is up to the person to decide if they want to use their body parts or not. People should be given the chance to decide what they would like to do with "their" bodies. As I said before in my first blog, selling of body parts is unethical and just not right. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. One article I read really shocked me. A young 27 year old man said he was in fact a organ donor. Stephen Banks agreed to donate every organ except for his precious "eyes". He recieved a letter stating they were happy he donated every single part of his body. Stephen knew this was a mistake, he was too scared to call and make the correction. This shows how rutheless even companies are now turning. Don't get me wrong, I feel that it is perfectly fineto donate body parts. My concern is not the donation, it is the stealing of the organs. Records are even changed to show that the people became donors. Of course this is not true. Family members also have a say so in the matter. It would be nice if the family of the dead were asked. Don't you think? My opinion will always remain the same about the situation. Bottom line, if consent was not given while the people were alive then you can not take the organs while they are dead.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic really interested me, I totally agree with you on the last part. I too think that if they didn’t have the consent while you were alive then they don't have it while you're dead. And I also think that the family should have consent or say so in this situation of the dead. In my opinion, I would be glad to help save someone else's life by giving them an organ if I am already dead. The organs are of no use to me while I’m dead so why can't I give someone else a chance to live. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as you have already said. People feel differently about this topic. This website (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organ-donation/FL00077), tells of some of the myths about organ donation, and gives some fairly good facts and reasons why people should become organ donors. According to the website, you have a chance of saving or improving as many as 50 lives. Isn't that great? Wouldn’t you like to be of help to give someone else a chance to live if you were dead? It's your own opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you are saying. Giving organs is perfectly acceptable, if you are willing to give them up. For someone to go beyond your wishes just because you are dead is just blashpomy. The people who do this are trying to make money and are not really interested in helping people out. The website you left on my blog was very interesting. I saw many myths that I myself believede were true! I personally am not an organ donor. I've never really sat down and thought about why I was not willing to be one. Something inside of me wants to be whole whether I am alive or dead. Overall, after doing blogs on this topic I have really come to understand more about organ donations. I still agree that if the person did not want to be an organ donor than that was their choice. The terrible people who go about practicing the organ trade are viscious as well. My opinion still stands and will forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is really interesting. I understand what you are saying. However, I do not think that the family members should have a say so in the matter. The "yes or no" should come from the person whose body is being donated. If the person did not decide before they are decease, then the person's remains should be left alone. It is the person's decision on what should happen with their remains.
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=57650.
    This website shows the different myths to why some people may be afraid to be a organ donor. The are cleared up by medical authors.
    Therefore, are there truly any disadvantages to being an ogran donor?
    Personally, I would be an organ donor. The organs are not beneficial to me any longer. Why not save someone's life?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Mr. Stephen knew this was a mistake, why did he not call to correct it? He's 27 years old for goodness sake.I firmly believe that we are not stealing body parts. Why are people keeping their body parts if they can't use them? Taking the body parts of deceased and not testing them for diseases and other things before giving them to others it the bad thing about this. After reading this particular article (http://www.anapolschwartz.com/practices/biomedical-tissue-services/blog/indianapolis-stolen-tissue.html) , it pissed me off that people stooped so low to harm others. We are not harming the dead by using their body parts, we are simply helping others. That is what I consider to be unlawful.

    ReplyDelete