Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Separation anxiety? Who is it harder on? part 2

I wrote this article because I myself have had a problem with separation anxiety. Many of you said that it is harder on the parents but let me ask you this questoin, what if you are the baby and your parents have already seen their other kids go off to college and so it doesn't hit them as hard...do you still think it is harder on the parents than the kids?? My parents have already seen two kids go off to college before myself, so does that mean that they are use to it by now? The first week of school here I had a really hard time and I do believe that is because I am the baby in my family, but does that also mean it was harder on my parents because I am the youngest and last to leave? In each article I read they said that it was harder on the parents but I really believe it is harder on the kids. You come to a new place, have to live away from your parents, deal with issues and problems yourself, have no help from them, and on top of that they tell parents not to call. This is a big step in our lives. This also brings me to the point that someone commented on, the Letting Go seminar was what the parents attended during orientaion and when I was told what they talked about it kind of upset me, they told the parents not to call as much and let us be by ourselves and pretty much don't be a big part of our lives all the time, and another comment said that in an article parents were told not to call their kids as much because it would make them miss home more but for me I would miss home even more if I couldn't talk to my parents and siblings everyday. Do you talk to a mom, dad, or sibling each day? if you didn't would/or does it make you miss home? My separation anxiety hits me on days like today to Oct. 12, today it my older brothers birthday and I'm not there to spend it with him and the rest of my family. While our parents get to be at family events and all and are happy to spend time and celebrate with everyone we are here at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment